A Grade II listed building, the house dates back to around 1700, though its current external appearance is a fine example of a mid-late Victorian country house built in Jacobean style. Part of the interior dates from around 1700, but almost all of the external fabric was constructed in two phases, around 1870 and around 1895, in a retrospective style more reminiscent of an English country house dating from around 1625. A fantastic opportunity existed to bring life back to this amazing house and in doing so drastically improving its setting as a listed building.
One of the key proposals was to remove all of the existing modern additions that blighted the setting of the original structure. In doing so, the formal garden spaces around the house were repaired and improved so that the house can once more be seen in its intended setting. The conversion and extension sought to respect and retain as much of the existing fabric as possible and to reinforce the traditional, historic plan form where possible.